Director of Electrical Engineering
Location: Arvada, CO
BCER is currently seeking a Director of Electrical Engineering who will be responsible for the oversight and management of our Electrical Engineering discipline. This position reports to our Vice President of Operations and is a peer to the Directors of our other disciplines: Mechanical/Plumbing, Technology, Fire/Life Safety, Project Management, and our Director of Operations for Florida.
Here’s what you will be doing:
- Providing our clients with The Most Satisfying Client Experience in our Industry by:
- Overseeing the execution and completion of electrical projects that will meet and exceed the expectations of our clients, while delivering those projects on time and within budget. Providing QA/QC review and PE stamping of project deliverables prior to issuance.
- Allocating staff, resolving scheduling conflicts, and ensuring efficient utilization for the Electrical design and production staff.
- Coordinating electrical design workload, schedules, and staffing with the other BCER offices and disciplines, ensuring efficient allocation and utilization of electrical staffing company wide.
- Ensuring that we are proactively, clearly, and effectively communicating with our clients, design teams, and contractors throughout each project.
- Occasionally assisting Project Managers/Project Lead Engineers by providing project management administrative duties, attending project meetings, and addressing schedule and staff resourcing conflicts as the needs arise.
- Working closely with:
- The Director of Project Management to mentor, train, and support Project Managers and Project Lead Engineers, ensuring that our Project Management initiatives are being effectively implemented and that our projects are being Actively Managed to Scope.
- The Vice President of Operations to deliver our projects The BCER Way (operational initiatives and procedures, design controls and guidelines, processes, standardization, etc.), ensuring that our projects are executed with the Care, Quality, and Expertise that our clients expect on every BCER project. Provide thought leadership on the continuing development, implementation, and management of The BCER Way.
- Other Department Directors to ensure consistent communications to all staff.
- Managing the Electrical Engineering Department:
- Provide overall supervision of the electrical engineering department to meet technical, administrative, man-hour, quality and schedule targets, in accordance with operational initiatives and procedures.
- Proactively engage with staff in order to be aware of project and individual work status, particularly as it relates to employee well-being, project cost and schedule, staff resourcing, and risk management.
- Provide career guidance and talent/experience assessment, including evaluating staff for performance, providing corrective action and oversight as needed, and hiring/firing.
- Forecast staff requirements and allocations based upon workload and skillsets (i.e. “do we have the right people in the right seats on the bus?”), and proactively managing to those forecasts.
- Oversee the mentoring of departmental staff, including the training of new hires and interns. Develop senior electrical leadership within the department to assist with departmental management, administration, and mentoring.
- Oversee the development, implementation and consistent use of electrical design standards, details, specifications, etc.
- Assisting with Business Development:
- Engage with our Marketing Department to coordinate and execute Business Development (BD) and Marketing initiatives as they relate to the Electrical Engineering discipline.
- Assist our Marketing Department and Project Managers with proposal and fee development.
- Professionally represent BCER through active engagement in the A/E industry and our Clients events and conferences.
- Serve as the outward “face” of BCER with regards to the Electrical Engineering discipline.
Here’s what you need to be successful:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering.
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in Colorado (multiple states preferred).
- Prior experience leading and managing a team of electrical engineers and designers, including providing performance and technical evaluations, hiring/firing, mentoring, and training.
- At least twenty (20) years of facility design experience, including the preparation of electrical drawings and specifications, assisting clients during the bidding process, and providing construction administration services.
- Significant experience designing and/or project managing medium to large-scale and complex renovations and new construction projects.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, including verbal and written communications as well as experienced presentation capabilities.
- Absolute commitment to providing our clients with The Most Satisfying Client Experience in our Industry.
Here’s a few other things that will help you in this position:
- Exposure to AutoCAD and Revit, as well as various electrical design software programs.
- Experience with facility design specific to healthcare, including knowledge of healthcare construction codes and standards (NFPA 99, NFPA 100, ASHRAE, etc.).
- Being self-motivated and able to work independently and with multiple priorities.
- The ability to effectively perform and make decisions in a fast paced and a constantly changing environment.
MORE ABOUT THIS POSITION
This position provides a competitive salary with an excellent benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, 401k, and a generous Discretionary Time Off (DTO) policy, which is inclusive of time off for vacation, holidays, illness, etc., provided as needed without a pre-defined annual limit.
This position will be based out of our Arvada, CO office.